The Important Parts of a Senior Pet Wellness Checkup
Pets today are living longer, healthier lives, and a large part of that is thanks to advancements in veterinary medicine. Here at MVS Pet Care Las Vegas, our veterinarians are proud to offer an array of services designed specifically to ensure your pet is healthy and happy throughout its senior years.
But, to ensure your aging animals can enjoy those healthy and happy years, they need regular wellness check-ups. A wellness checkup is an important part of a senior pet's health as it enables our veterinarians to detect any problems early on and begin treatment right away. The following is a look at what a senior pet wellness checkup consists of.
What a Senior Pet Wellness Checkup Entails
- Physical exam: The physical exam is the central component of any exam for any pet of any age, but it proves to be especially significant when it comes to senior pet care. That's because it's during the senior years that a difference in things like weight, muscle tone, and range of motion in the joints can signify underlying problems. An exam can detect such problems.
- Blood chemistry test: With a blood chemistry test, we take samples of your pet's blood and evaluate hormone levels, organ function, and electrolyte status. A blood chemistry test helps to diagnose diabetes and detect signs of early kidney or liver failure.
- Thyroid screening: Thyroid diseases are quite common in senior cats and dogs, and thus, thyroid screening is a core component of a comprehensive senior pet care checkup.
- Urinalysis: A urinalysis is a common test we do for pets of all ages, but it is of special importance for senior pets. A comprehensive urinalysis will measure how your pet's kidneys and liver function, while also give information back about metabolic status. Several diseases can be detected early on through a urinalysis.
- Eye exam: There are two primary eye tests we perform on senior cats and dogs: glaucoma and retinal testing. Testing for glaucoma is critical. If left untreated, glaucoma can swiftly lead to permanent blindness. A retinal exam will likewise test for other common eye conditions.
Schedule Your Senior Pet's Wellness Checkup with Our Las Vegas Veterinarian Today
Are you concerned about your senior pet's health? Do you want to take a step towards better preventative health care measures? Preventative wellness tests, like those mentioned above, can help save you significantly in the long run because early detection allows us to treat diseases and conditions before they become serious and expensive. Contact MVS Pet Care Las Vegas today to learn more, and to schedule your pet's senior pet care checkup. Give us a call at 702-802-8956.